Thread Paint Your Own Photo Quilt by Betsy Habich

Thread Paint Your Own Photo Quilt by Betsy Habich

Our Price: $68.00

Product Code: BH-THREAD-PAINT-A-PHOTO
Qty:

Description

SATURDAY OCT. 27th, 2018: 9 AM to 12 PM AND 2 PM - 5 PM
FULL DAY CLASS

Thread-painting gives you the freedom to make a very realistic image entirely with thread, and the only skill you need is confident free-motion quilting! Starting with your own good quality photo printed on fabric, we will explore ways to create the color combinations and textures to transform it into a realistic 8 ½” x 11”thread painting. You’ll be amazed by what you can do!

Supply list:

*** A good-resolution photo, which you send to me (betsy@betsyhabich.com) at least one week before the workshop. ***

Kit Fees are paid directly to the teacher at the beginning of class!

As part of your kit fee of $40, I will:

- review your photo, cropping if necessary to make it a better image

- print your photo on good-quality cotton, approx.. 8 ½” x 11”

- fuse it to batting and backing

- print a full-size, color copy of your photo for reference

- bring it to class

You will need to bring:

Sewing machine in good working order:

Thread-painting asks a lot of your sewing machine. If your machine is inclined to jam or break needles or thread, it WILL do it during this workshop. I will help if I can do so without taking time away from the rest of the class, but I am not a sewing machine technician. Well before class, please do yourself a favor and check:

- Machine must have been cleaned and oiled recently

- Must be able to drop feed dogs (test before you come)

- Must have both straight-stitch and zag-zag stitches

- Must be able to go forward and reverse

- Must have free-motion embroidery foot attached (unlike a free-motion quilting foot, this one is open in front, so you can see exactly where your needle will land! On a Bernina, it is a #24 foot)

- In case your machine needs a visit to the ‘sewing machine spa’, please check this ahead of time. Just about every time I teach this class, there is at least one machine that frustrates its person L. I will help if I can without taking time away from other students, but I am not

a sewing machine technician.

50 weight thread, in colors of your photograph.

- Look at your photo carefully. How many colors can you find in it?

- Bring thread in each color you can see, including light and dark shades.

- For example, for a pink flower, bring thread in as many shades of pink as you can see in the image, plus possibly lavender, red, apricot or other neighboring colors.

- The important thing is to look at your photo several times before the class to see how much color you can see in it! Neighbors can share thread!

- (Aurifil is great for this technique, but can be pricey; Mettler or Metrosene

plain sewing thread also works just fine!)

* I will bring some thread with me, which you are welcome to use in

addition to supplement the thread you bring.

Size 14 and 16 Topstitch needles

Bobbins for your sewing machine, loaded with the thread colors you are bringing.

Iron & ironing surface (shared)

Non-stick sheet (to protect iron) (shared)

About the Instructor: Betsy Habich’s quilts have been juried into national and regional shows, including International Quilt Association (IQA /Houston), American Quilters Society (AQS/ Paducah), Machine Quilters Expo (MQX), and Quilters Gathering, and her work has been awarded ribbons at regional quilt shows including the Vermont Quilt Festival, The Gathering, and the Machine Quilters Expo (MQX). In addition, she has had several one-woman shows at local shows, shops, and libraries. She is a self-confessed fabricaholic and cat person, though she has also been known to play with dogs. She lives with her husband, cats, and fabric in Beverly Farms, MA.

Share your knowledge of this product. Be the first to write a review »